Hello, Foodies and Buddies!
We have a new Dish of the Week courtesy of FoodyBuddy’s rising star – Neeraj Maliwal – and it’s an awesome one! Presenting, Crispy Bread Rolls which have won the hearts of Chef Neeraj’s Foodies and are one of the most popular dishes on our platform today.
So, what exactly is the dish?
“This dish is basically a perfect evening snack, which any age group can enjoy. Its a stuffing of potato including onions and green peas rolled and covered using bread,” describes Chef Neeraj.
It’s also a dish which holds a special significance to our featured chef.
He says, “It reminds me of an evening when my wife was in a stressed mood. To cool her down, I just wore my apron (hand stitched by my friend) and tried it then and there. I failed initially but then I made the perfect snack for her. She just said, ‘This is awesome! How did you make this so perfectly?’ That’s why I even call it a ‘Happy-go snack!’
So, is this dish one of Chef Neeraj’s favourites? “Yes, Of course! I recently practiced how to make this dish perfectly and my wife was the first critic for this. After enjoying it, she pushed me to post this dish on the FoodyBuddy app ASAP! And here are the results,” he replies with an excited smile.
Having spoken to Chef Neeraj about his dish, we enquired about how he learned to make such a tasty treat. “While having this snack in college, it inspired me to try it at home. So, I watched one video on Youtube. It looked quite easy there. However, one thing I have observed is every dish looks very simple in these videos. The real test is when you actually try making it yourself,” he says.
He continues, “And therefore, I also failed in the first 2-3 attempts to properly roll the bread. However, after events of practice, I was able to cover the bread properly and now this dish has become the most selling dish on FoodyBuddy from my end!”
We are certainly glad that your persistence and hard work has paid off, Chef Neeraj 🙂
Chef Neeraj was also kind enough to share the full recipe for his yummy dish and here it is:
Potatoes: 2 – Medium size
Onions: 1 – Medium size, finely chopped
Green Peas: 1/2 bowl
Oil: 2 tablespoons
Cumin Seeds: 1 tablespoon
Fennel Seeds (Sauf): 1/2 tablespoon
Red Chilli Powder: 1/4 tablespoon
Coriander Powder: 1/2 table spoon
Chaat Masala: 1/4 tablespoon
Salt: As per taste
Sugar: Just a pinch
Bread: 4 slices.
1. Boil the potatoes and mash them gently.
2. Take a pan and heat the oil in the pan.
3. Once the oil is heated up, add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
4. Add chopped onions and saute it for a minute.
5. Add green peas and again saute it for a minute.
6. After this, add all the spices, such as red chilli powder, coriander powder, chaat masala, salt, and sugar.
7. Stir the spices properly to mix them with the other ingredients and let it be there for 1 minute.
8. After this, add mashed potatoes, stir gently for a minute, turn the flame off, and let the stuffing cool completely.
9. Meanwhile, take 4 pieces of bread and cut the crust off.
10. Take water in one plate and dip one piece of bread into it.
11. Put the bread on your palm and gently soak the water from it.
12. Once you soak the water, keep the stuffing in the centre of the bread piece and roll it gently and carefully.
13. Repeat steps 9 to 12 with the remaining three pieces of bread.
14. Now, it’s time to fry these bread rolls – Heat the oil in a pan
15. Once the oil gets heated up, gently put all the bread rolls one-by-one.
16. It will take 3-5 mins to turn the color into golden brown. (Note: Oil should not be very hot. If the oil is very hot, the bread rolls will not be cooked from inside and the taste will not be accurate.)
17. Your dish is now ready and you can have these yummy, delicious, and crispy bread rolls with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Chef Neeraj also described the challenges to look out for when making these bread rolls. “The main challenge is to cover the bread over the stuffing properly. Most of the times, due to improper balance of covering and stuffing, all the stuffing could pop out from the roll while frying. Also, dipping the bread into water and then soaking it, is also a tricky job to do.”
So, with such a tremendous response for his Crispy Bread Rolls, what other dishes is Chef Neeraj looking to make famous on FoodyBuddy? “I am coming up with Malai Kulfi soon. Currently, in the list are Paneer Bhurji, Aloo Paratha, Cold Coffee and Lassi Pyaar Bhari,” he replies enthusiastically.
Finally, Chef Neeraj has some very sweet sentiments to share. He says, “One thing that I would like to talk about is that FoodyBuddy is really a great platform for me. I never ever imagined that I will get such a good response.”
“And for this, all the credit goes to my wife, Smriti Goyal as she only brought me in this. She downloaded the app, registered under my name, spoke to Akil (CEO of FoodyBuddy), and asked me to meet him. So, this wouldn’t be possible without her. And even in this entire process of cooking and delivering the food, she is a great support to me,” he concludes.
We are grateful that your wife pushed you into joining FoodyBuddy, Chef Neeraj 🙂
We would like to thank her and to thank you for being such an amazing member of our family!
All the very best to you going forward!
If you would like FoodyBuddy to be launched in your apartment community, please contact us by clicking here!