Hello, Foodies and Buddies!
We have a real tasty treat for you on this edition of Dish of the Week! Presenting, Poornalu from Chef Sindhu Reddy – an amazing sweet dish which has been wowing Foodies on our platform since it was first introduced.
What is Poornalu? “It is sweet dish generally available on special occasions. It has a crunchy exterior made from a batter very similar to the batter used for dosas and idlis. Inside it has a sweetish core, made up from chana dal and jaggery. It is very healthy and just moderately sweet so one can indulge in as many as she wants,” described Chef Sindhu.
It is one of her favourite dishes and Chef Sindhu has fond memories of her grandmother preparing this dish on special occasions such as festivals and birthdays. In fact, it was her grandmother who taught Chef Sindhu how to prepare this awesome dish!
We even have a full recipe for Poornalu just for you, courtesy of Chef Sindhu.
– Wash and soak Urad Dal and Rice for 4-5 hours
– Cook Chana Dal in water till it is just cooked, but be careful that you don’t overcook it.
– Then mash and blend into a coarse mixture.
– Add jaggery boiled in water to a paste to this coarse mixture and mix well
– Add fresh coconut and cardamom, and after cooling make them into small balls
– Take Urad Dal and Rice in a 1:2 ratio and soak overnight.
– Grind it finely and add salt to taste.
– Let it sit for 20 mins
– Dip the Filling Balls in this batter and fry lightly in pre-heated oil.
– Serve hot.
Chef Sindhu described the only major challenge with this. “The challenge is to get the batter right. It requires the right consistency so the dish is crunchy to eat,” she said.
And finally, Chef Sindhu told us about other dishes of hers which she wants to make famous on the FoodyBuddy platform.
“My favorite dish is Chicken Biryani. I am also looking to serve Veg Biryani, Samosas and Thalis,” she said with an excited smile.
Thank you very much for your amazing dish and recipe, Chef Sindhu, and all the very best to you going forward 🙂
If you would like FoodyBuddy to be launched in your apartment community, please contact us by clicking here!