Hello, Foodies and Buddies!
Welcome to our Dish of the Week column where we have a very special Indian dessert for you! Introducing delicious Coconut Barfi by Chef Shalini.
It is an Indian sweet dish with coconuts as the hero ingredient and has impressed many a buyer of Chef Shalini’s. The dish also holds a special family significance for our chef.
“My daughter loves this sweet so much and so I make it frequently, It is a favourite dish for my husband and for me as well,” she explains with a fond smile!
When asked about how she learned to make this amazing dish, Chef Shalini responded, “Actually, one of my friend’s mother used to make this sweet and I have learnt from her.”
Chef Shalini was also generous enough to provide us with a full recipe for the dish.
1) 4 cups of coconut powder
2) 3 cups of milk
3) 1 tablespoon of ghee
4) 2 cups of sugar (as per your taste)
5) 2 tablespoons of cream (optional)
6) 1/4 tablespoon of cardamom powder
1)Firstly take 4 cups of freshly grated coconut into a blender, and blend coarsely
2) Take a pan and put it to heat on a medium flame
3) add 1 tablespoon of ghee, 4 cups of coconut powder, 3 cups of milk and 2 cups of sugar to the pan.
4) Mix well on medium flame until the sugar dissolves completely
5) Keep stirring till the mixture starts to thicken then add 2 tablespoons of cream. This should take about 20 minutes.
6) After that, the mixture will start to separate from the pan .
7) Now add the cardamom powder and mix well.
8) Transfer the prepared dough into a greased plate.
9) Allow it to set for 1-2 hours then cut into pieces
10) You can store it in an airtight container for a week in the refrigerator
Chef Shalini advised caution while preparing the dish. She said, “You should be very careful when all the ingredients come together and mixture starts to separate from the pan. Then immediately turn off the gas otherwise or taste will completely change!”
In closing, Chef Shalini told us about what other dishes she was looking forward to making famous on FoodyBuddy. She said, “Almond Ladoo, Paneer Butter Masala, Kadai Paneer, Aloo Matar Dry, Mango Shake, Suji Halwa, and Besan Cheela!”
We are sure that all these dishes will become amazingly popular soon, ma’am! We wish you all the very best and thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us 🙂
If you would like to be a Home Chef on FoodyBuddy, please register by clicking here!
FoodyBudy is always looking for unique dishes to be featured as a Dish of the Week. If you would like your dish to be featured, please do write to us at email@example.com